Centacare North Queensland respects the privacy of all individuals and is committed to safeguarding the personal information provided to us. Centacare North Queensland has an absolute commitment to the right to privacy of any individual who uses our services. Centacare North Queensland will clearly communicate our personal information collection and handling practices to clients and this is protected by the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth). The Privacy Amendment Act 2012 do not apply to employee records of Centacare North Queensland’s current and former employees (Section 7b (3)).
Centacare North Queensland is committed to complying with our obligations under the Privacy Act (1988). Therefore, personal information:
- Will generally be collected directly from individuals via internet, email, face to face or telephone enquires;
- Is only information that is necessary for Centacare North Queensland to provide a service;
- Is accurate, complete and up to date;
- Is stored securely;
- Is appropriately destroyed consistent with legislative requirements and our retention periods;
- Is accessible to relevant individuals by completing ‘Request for Personal Information’ (CEN-140-001) (APP12);
- Can be corrected by the individual; and
- Will only be disclosed to another party with client’s written consent to do so or if Centacare North Queensland is required to do so by law.
Individuals have the option to withhold personal information or use an alias, or withdraw consent at any time when engaging with Centacare North Queensland. However, in some cases this may result in an inability to provide or reduce the capacity to provide the requested service.
It is the responsibility of every Centacare North Queensland employee, client, volunteer and Advisory Board Member to comply with this policy.
If you would like to access any Centacare North Queensland service on an anonymous basis, we will take all reasonable steps to comply with your request. However, we may not be able to provide you with a service if we are not provided with the personal information requested.
You have a right to make a complaint about Centacare North Queensland privacy practices or our handling of your personal information, please contact our Privacy Officer.
Any breach of this policy may result in a formal warning, performance management or instant dismissal depending on the situation and the discretion of the Executive Director.
References: Privacy Act 1988 (Cth), 13 Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) in the Privacy Amendment (Enhancing Privacy Protection) Act 2012 (Cth); Information Privacy Act 2009 Information Privacy Regulation 2009; Right to Information Act 2009; Right to Information Regulation 2009.
Endorsed by the Executive Director